‘I walked with Nagaland behind me’

Ruopfuzhano Whiso on her Top 4 finish at Miss Universe India 2024
Nagaland couldn’t be prouder as its own beauty queen, Ruopfuzhano Whiso, made a remarkable mark in the prestigious Miss Universe India 2024, securing a spot in the Top 4. Held at the dazzling Zee Studios in Jaipur, the competition saw 50 contestants from across the country vying for the coveted crown. Whiso’s poise and eloquence stood out as she advanced through the rounds from Top 20 to Top 10, and finally to the Top 4. Reflecting on her journey, Whiso expressed, “I had an amazing experience getting to know all the 50 contestants. Learning and grooming myself into a confident woman gave me a new perspective on what I could be, and I will always cherish the lessons I learned and the memories I’ve made. Thank you everyone for your love, prayers, and support. It’s not my win—it’s everyone who came together who achieved it. I walked with Nagaland behind me on stage, and I felt the prayers keeping me steady and tall. I will always be grateful for your support.”
During the final Q&A segment, Whiso was asked to share her thoughts on the challenges women in India face today and the steps that can be taken to empower them. In a confident response, she highlighted ‘fear’ as a significant challenge, exacerbated by the increasing reports of assaults and rapes. “It is heartbreaking to see how many women have been silenced,” she remarked. She expressed her commitment to using her platform to encourage women to speak up, stand for justice, and be true to themselves, adding, “Then I believe we can truly bring justice for a safer and better world for the women of India.” Whiso’s vision of beauty goes beyond appearances. For her, true confidence means embracing who we are without needing validation. “Beauty isn’t skin deep but comes from the heart. True confidence is when one is kind, humble, and unapologetically oneself,” she stated. Raised with values of compassion and kindness, Whiso proudly represented her Naga heritage, known for its warm hospitality.
Her ‘Beauty with a Purpose’ initiative, Project Elders Enclave, in collaboration with Good Samaritans Seniors Citizens Home, supports the welfare of elderly citizens. She paid homage to her roots in the National Costume round, donning a dress inspired by Nagaland’s state flower, the rhododendron, adorned with traditional beads.A familiar face in Nagaland’s pageant circles, Whiso has previously represented the state in Femina Miss India Nagaland 2018, and was crowned Miss Kohima 2017 and first runner-up of Miss Nagaland 2017. Her journey to Miss Universe India 2024 began when she won the Miss Universe Nagaland India 2024 title in an open audition organized by the Beauty and Aesthetics Society of Nagaland (BASN). Her Top 4 finish marks a historic debut for Nagaland in the competition, and she is an inspiration for young women across the state and beyond. ‘I walked with Nagaland behind me’ | MorungExpress | morungexpress.com: